What is Cytoreduction+HIPEC
Cytoreduction is a major operation performed under general anesthesia.
Average operative time (including perfusion) is 8-10 hours.
After the operation, all patients are admitted to the intensive care unit for 2-5 days.
Average hospital stay is 3-4 weeks.
The aim of cytoredcutive surgery is to eliminate all tumor and metastatic tissues from the abdominal cavity, in order to effectively deliver intra-peritoneal heated chemotherapy (HIPEC).
- A large longitudinal incision is made in the abdomen.
- The peritoneum is stripped off the abdominal wall.
- The abdomen is examined through a small window made in the peritoneum.
- The abdomen and pelvis are carefully inspected.
- All visible and palpable tumor deposits are removed.
- Organs invaded by tumors are resected only if there no other choice.The abdomen and pelvis are being carefully re-examined.